Abram Leland Stanley Nash, FCIP, P. Eng., OLS, MM, OBE (1894-1992)
Born in Haldimand County, Ontario in 1894, Stanley Nash worked as a surveyor in Brantford and received his Ontario Land Surveyor commission in 1915. Almost immediately, he joined the army and went overseas with the 40th Battery, Canadian Field Artillery. He served as a signaler in several battles on the WWI front, including Vimy Ridge, and was awarded the Military Medal for bravery.
After the war, he attended the University of Toronto, graduating in Civil Engineering in 1922. He continued work as a surveyor, doing preliminary work for the St. Lawrence Seaway and laying out subdivisions in Detroit. During the depression, he worked as County Engineer in Haldimand County, Ontario. During those years, he helped to reorganize the 54th Field Battery in Brantford so that by 1939 it was ready to be part of the Canadian Army’s First Division. As Major, he was second in command of the 1st Field Regiment, serving overseas in England and France. In Canada, as Colonel, he directed the army training centres in Winnipeg, Petawawa, and Camp Shilo—receiving the Order of the British Empire for his wartime work.
In 1945, he brought his surveying and engineering experience to the new Community Planning Branch of the Department of Planning and Development in Toronto where, during the 1950s and 60s, he was largely responsible for drafting and implementing Ontario’s Planning Act. He recommended legislative changes and modified procedures to accommodate the ever increasing urban development across Ontario. He understood the problems facing municipalities and sought greater appreciation and knowledge for those with professional planning responsibilities.
He was President of the Town Planning Institute of Canada and on the Board of Directors of the American Society of Planning Officials. He was an Honorary Vice-President of the Ontario Land Surveyors. Colonel Nash was elected as a Fellow of the Town Planning Institute of Canada in 1969.
A man of warmth and understanding, he brought a great sense of dedication to the planning profession. He was always ready to listen and regarded his role in planning as a great mission. Throughout his busy professional life, Mr. Nash was a faithful member of a series of churches, acting as steward, trustee, and board chair.